Post Primary School Bereavement Programme – Begins 5th November 2021
School Bereavement Course – Post Primary Teachers begins this week 5th November. Registration Open.
The Solas Cancer Support Centre have developed a free professional development course that is being delivered in Waterford schools this year.
So far this year we are pleased to have delivered 4 programmes, with 60 primary schools represented, and we are now ready to deliver training for Post Primary teachers.
The aim of this free education programme is to guide teachers in supporting bereaved adolescents in their schools and classrooms.
Facilitator Brid Carroll has developed this 9-hour training module that will be delivered in 2 sessions. Brid is a qualified Psychotherapist and Counselling Supervisor with a special interest in bereavement and loss. Brid holds a Masters in Bereavement Studies from RCSI Dublin and a Postgraduate Certificate in Childhood Bereavement from St. Christopher’s Hospice London. She is a contributor to the Irish Hospice Foundation’s workshop series and is Co-ordinator of their Professional Certificate in Children and Loss.
This zoom course aims to:
• Develop the necessary skills to befriend and support a bereaved adolescent in their school community.
• Improve understanding of how grief affects adolescents at various developmental ages/ stages.
• Explore an adolescent’s concept of loss and the key tasks they must undertake to integrate key losses in their lives
• Gain awareness and understanding of an adolescent within their family context.
• Raise awareness of the signs that may indicate an adolescent requires professional support.
• Explore intervention tools that might be used in the classroom to allow for healthy conversations about grief and loss.
• Shed light on the impact of grief and loss on teachers themselves both personally and professionally.
• Offer knowledge of the theories and models that underpin bereavement and loss in adolescence e.g. Dual Process Model, Narrative therapy and Continuing Bonds
This online course will be delivered from 9.15am to 2.15pm over two days. The course dates for the Post Primary course are Friday 5th and Friday 19th November.
Each school is allocated one place and the school can decide who should attend. A resource pack will be available to those participants who have completed the course.
There is no charge for the course as we are very fortunate to be funded by Rethink Ireland for our work in this area.
Please call 051 304604 or email email@example.com if you would like to enquiry about this course.