To support people affected by cancer, their families and carers in Waterford and the South East.
What We Do:
1. Firstly and foremost we provide the highest quality cancer support services to the people of Waterford and the South East. These support services include counselling, relaxation therapies and group support services which are provided at the Solas Cancer Support Centre. We provide those affected by cancer, their families and carers with a safe place; a place to talk things over, to relax and express emotions.
2. We ensure that the people of the South East have access to the very best medical treatment for cancer and services to diagnose cancer as early as possible. We supported the staffing of the South East clinical trials unit to ensure that people have access to taking part in research studies to improve outcomes for those affected by cancer. We advocate and campaign at national level – with Government and HSE – to ensure that the cancer services in the South East region of Ireland are world class and are accessible to all. In the past, we successfully campaigned for the need for accessible radiotherapy services and a National Cancer Centre in the South East.
3. We promote awareness and educate people about cancer. This includes cancer prevention, the early diagnosis of cancer and recovery from cancer. We promote a change of mindset around cancer – to help all of us to talk more freely about cancer, to live with it and encourage the whole community to support people living with cancer and their families and carers.
Our Core Values
Our Core Values are unique to the Solas Cancer Support Centre Brand. They form an integral part of the “essence” of what the Solas Cancer Support Centre is. They each describe what the experience of interaction with the Solas Cancer Support Centre should be. They are a benchmark for every facet of day-to-day interactions with:
- Clients of the Centre
- The Community we serve – the people of the South East
- Colleagues of the Solas Cancer Support Centre – our Volunteers, Service Providers, Staff and Supporters
Our Core Values
Click to read more about our core values
- To be progressive and continue to strive for excellence in everything we do.
- To be a leading expert in our field.
- To advocate for early diagnosis and cancer prevention.
- To act with the freedom given by being independent of political influence and support.
- To empower our clients, through the therapeutic, educational and mindfulness programmes to continue to have healthy and fulfilling lives.
- To be empathetic to our clients, staff, volunteers and suppliers.
- To be compassionate in all our dealings with our clients, staff, volunteers and suppliers.
- To offer unconditional comfort and support to our clients.
- To treat all our clients information with confidentiality.
- To be ethical and honest in all our dealings and communications.
- To be reliable and accessible to those we deal with.
- To conduct ourselves professionally, responsibly and with integrity.
- To conduct all our dealings transparently.
- To be a community based resource for the people of the South East.
- To treat the relationships within the centre and with our clients as a partnership
- To be proactive in the community in promoting our core values and objectives.
- To focus on listening to our clients and all stakeholders.
- To have a welcoming, open and accessible service to the people of the South East.
- To be a person centered organisation.
- To embrace diversity and the cultural backgrounds of our clients.
- To be flexible and responsive to the individuals needs and requirements of our clients.
Caring for Our Clients
Caring for Our Clients in 2018
In 2018, 709 clients engaged with the Solas Cancer Support Centre.
In 2018 we provided over 5,500 one to one support services to clients which included:
- Complimentary Therapies 3,685
- Counselling 1,430
- Art Therapy 385
Over 335 Group Support sessions were held during 2018 with an average of 50 clients per week availing of these group activities which include our Art Group, Crochet Group, Bereavement Group, Meditation, Yoga, Mindfulness, Men’s Support Group, Strides for Life Walking program, Women’s Support Group and a range of information sessions.
Solas Cancer Support Centre running costs for 2018
|Cost of providing services to Clients||€425,068|
|Administration and building running costs||€167,482|
|Income (from community fundraising)||€474,084|
|Deficit (expenditure less income)||– €118,466|
The total amount of salaries paid by the Solas Cancer Support Centre in 2018 was €154,328 to 3 full time and 1 part time staff.
Today, the Solas Cancer Support Centre is supported by over 70 volunteers who help us with Client Services and fundraising activities.
- Over 30 counsellors & therapists who support our Clients and their needs at the Centre or as part of our Outreach service.
- 6 community employment scheme workers who help with the day to day running of the Centre and the maintenance of our gardens.
- 1 part time staff & 3 full time staff member in the roles of Centre Manager, Client Services Coordinator, Fundraising Coordinator, Accounts Administrator and Administrator.
Board of Directors
The South Eastern Cancer Foundation/Solas Cancer Support Centre is a registered charity and a registered company limited by guarantee. It is governed by a voluntary Board of Trustees ( also known as directors or board members) made up of professionals including legal, medical, business, community, communication, financial and of service users. No fees or expenses are paid to directors of the Solas Cancer Support Centre.